St Stephen's Parish was established in 1907 when Father John Brotherhood was appointed by the Church to minister to the people of Dalmuir. Within two years he was running St Stephen's from a presbytery and church built as a direct result of his efforts. He went on to serve for a further twenty seven years in the parish.
The original church was destroyed in the Clydebank Blitz from the 13th - 15th March 1941. The sustained heavy bombing destroyed a third of the buildings in Clydebank, leaving 35,000 people homeless. A thousand bombers were used in the raid and the devastation of the town was so complete that only eight buildings remained unscathed after the bombing. It was said to be the worst bomb damage per head of the population in the British Isles.
Masses were held in the Church Hall for a number of years before Father Gerald McDade looked at the cramped facilities available to the Parish in 1950 and began to work on providing a new church for the parishioners.
It was Father McDade's successor, the Reverend William Mallon, who
oversaw the opening of the new church on the 28th of September 1958. The architect Thomas Cordiner designed the magnificent new structure, with its prominent bell tower overlooking the junction of Park Road and Second Avenue. The Solemn Opening was presided over by The Most Rev Donald A Campbell, the Archbishop of Glasgow.
Another notable feature of the church is its three magnificent stained
glass windows. One depicts the life of St Margaret of Scotland and the other portrays saints Andrew, Kentigern and Patrick. The third window, at the back of the church depicts the crucifixion.
Now, almost fifty years later, under the leadership of the present
Parish priest Fr Gerard Conroy, the church is preparing to celebrate its
centenary in 2007.